Here is what I think is an excellent topping for chicken schnitzel that doesn’t make me miss real breadcrumbs! Using quinoa flakes as well as grating in some parmesan cheese, forms a delicious crunchy coating that never fails to please.
Couple of tips … I like to fry with coconut oil. It doesn’t burn the crumb and cooks the chicken to a beautiful golden brown. I like to make a mayo dressing or my ranch dressing. You could serve with gravy or make into a chicken parmigiana.
For some extra flavour you can chop some basil or parsley into the crumbs.
4 skinless organic chicken fillets
2 cups quinoa flakes (you may need more)
grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped herbs
3 eggs + a dash of milk, beaten together lightly
about a cup of quinoa flour
1. Slice the fillets and then use a meat mallet to thin them.
2. Set up the crumbing ritual:
- 1 dinner plate for quinoa flour.
- 1 bowl with the egg and milk wash.
- 1 dinner plate for the quinoa flakes (I prefer to mix up 1 cup of flake mix at a time), grate over about 1-2 tblspn of parmesan cheese and 1 tblspn of finely chopped herbs. Lightly season with salt and mix it up well.
3. Lightly dust each fillet with quinoa flour. Dip the fillet into the egg wash. Then coat lightly with the quinoa flakes mix.
4. Heat 1 tblspn of coconut oil, and fry the fillets on medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
5. Keep the fillets warm in the oven while you cook them all. You will need to add more coconut oil to the pan as you go.
6. Make a quick dressing for the fillets – 2 tblspn good quality egg mayonnaise, 1 tblpn olive oil, a good squeeze of lemon juice, 1 tsp chopped herbs (I like dill or basil) and 1 tsp of water.. Mix to a thin dressing and serve separately.