This recipe is inspired by the sensational beetroot salad from Mecca Bah in Brisbane. Given I live in Sydney and my trips to Brisbane were infrequent, I had no choice but to devise my own version. This is a great salad as part of a Mezze or tapas meal or even just a plain grilled steak !
Depending on the size of beetroot, if you decided to bake the beetroot you will have a sweeter more concentrated flavour but you will need to roast in foil around an hour. Alternatively if you boil, you will need to cook until the beets are soft, this could be 25-30mins.
1 bunch of rocket
1 bunch of beetroot
½ a small red onion
Red wine vinegar
fresh dill (about 1 tsp)
2 tblsp of Greek yoghurt
Good squeeze of lemon juice
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Firstly, cook the beetroot by boiling gently or baking in foil
2. Whilst still warm, remove the beetroot skin (wearing gloves) and leave to cool.
3. Whilst beetroot is cooking slice red onion very thinly in rings and soak in the red wine vinegar for about 30 mins.
3. Rinse the vinegar from the onion in a little water and pat dry.
4. On a platter dress rocket with a little bit of olive oil and mix through.
5. Top with onions and beetroot and dill sprigs
6. Mix a little lemon juice in the yoghurt and dollop over salad.
7. Sprinkle over with sumac