What would a soul kitchen be without a recipe for chicken soup! My chicken soup is hearty and flavoursome as all good chicken soup should be and just perfect for cold winter days. This soup freezes well, so its great to have on hand in case the dreaded flu strikes.
8 free range chicken legs
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
1 fennel bulb, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
Bunch of tarragon, chopped (or if you can’t find use handful of fresh basil)
3 bay leaves
1 tsp of Greek oregano
1 sprig of rosemary or 3 sprigs lemon thyme
1 litre of good quality gluten free chicken stock
1 litre of water
½ cup Arborio rice
1. Fry the chicken legs until golden brown in a frypan with a little olive oil.
2. In a saucepan, fry garlic, onion, oregano and rosemary in olive oil for a few minutes until the onion softens and becomes slightly translucent.
3. Add the celery, carrot and fennel to the onion and stir to sweat the vegies for a few minutes.
4. Add the stock and the chicken into the saucepan. Add a little sea salt and the rest of the ingredients.
5. Cook for about 45mins. Take the chicken meat off the bone and return the meat to the soup along with ½ the tarragon (or basil) . Add the rice.
6. Cook another 20mins. Add the rest of the tarragon (or basil). Check seasoning.