A visit to Flemington fruit and vegie markets on Saturday morning, means we have a well stocked fridge and lots of healthy options ready to be knocked up at a moments notice. Today, the weather called for soup and within 30mins we were sitting down to a hearty bowl of this creamy corn chowder.
3 onions, finely chopped
2 rashers of bacon, cut into 1cm dice.
3 sprigs thyme (I used lemon thyme)
1 carrot finely diced
5 cobs of corn
1 small potato, cut into a dice.
2 tblspn double cream
500ml good quality gluten free chicken stock
500ml water (or you could use all chicken stock)
1 tspn sea salt
1. Cut kernals from the cobs of corn with a small knife, cutting as close to the centre of the cob as you can.
2. In a large saucepan, firstly fry the onion and the bacon together with the thyme until the onion turns translucent.
3. Add the corn and the carrot. Stir until the carrot and the corn sweat and slightly soften.
4. Add in the chicken stock, water, salt and cream. Stir through and simmer slowly for about 20mins.
5. Place a bamix or other type of stick blender into saucepan and blend a little, so that you can still see the corn kernals but the soup thickens slightly. You don’t want to puree completely.
6. Check seasoning of salt (add some pepper to taste if you like).